Monday, October 19, 2015

Owl Blocks

As soon as I saw this picture on instagram, I just had to make one! Plus I am totally obsessed with all-things-owls so it wasn't hard to purchase this pattern from @Homespunhandmaiden for only $1.99! Try making one yourself. It's sew much fun and very easy to put together too. 
I couldn't wait to get started! So I picked out some left over tiger lily fabric from a recent quilt. It is brown with green, yellow and orange flowers. It reminds me of Fall! I have a 12 x 12 pillow form and decided it would look great as a mini pillow for my living room. 
I cut all the squares and rectangles out, which only took me an hour...I hate cutting fabric! This would be a lot easier if you could use scraps. 
These alphabities are a must! If you don't have any, you should make some or use paper and pencil. It makes the steps go by faster and helps stay organized. Before I purchased alphabities this is what I used... 
Super simple! Right?
Back to the sewing machine!
I started to make the eyes, body, ears, beak...and continued until the block was complete! The reason there are two owls is because the pattern was wrong, but after seeing the two together they are pretty cute!!
I was able to quilt, and use the larger owl for the 12 x 12 pillow form. I absolutely love how it turned out. Whoooo wants it?

Thanks and Have a nice Monday!
-Laura

1 comment: